No question for you to answer here--but seeing a few clips will help you to see how the songs and dialogue go together in this musical play, the first of its kind ever staged.
From Act I, scene 6, with Mrs. Peachum played by the incomparable Patricia Routledge (whom fans of British sit-coms on PBS may know as Hyacinth Bucket):
From the end of Act I (scenes 13 onward), with a young Sir Laurence Olivier playing MacHeath (an older production):
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think that the musical form of the second clip works out nicely for the love scene between Polly and MacHeath. It embodies a sense of false love that exists between the two, as it is able to be overexaggerated with dramaticized presence. It tricks the audience into the thought that the two are actually 100% dedicated to one another.
The music also works to dramaticize the violence scene that occurs directly after the love scene. It presents a sense of the true emotion that is occuring as the chase happens.
Post a Comment