Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Debriefing: Class Online

A few reactions to today's forced experiment in online teaching:

(1) My plan of 2 comments/day = attendance is unrealistic. Or at least, the hit that some people will take to their attendance if the strike goes on does not seem entirely justified.

(2) Those who participated did a great job. Is it all that texting that makes you guys good at thinking online? I was impressed by the quality and variety of responses.

(3) Blogger software is not optimal for this kind of thing. Much as I loathe Compass, there's a lot to be said for being able to structure threaded discussions.

Please feel free to let me know what you thought--either by responding to this post, or by e-mailing me privately. If tomorrow's negotiations don't bring the strike to an end, we'll be online again on Wednesday, but I will probably tweak the format--and I'll be grateful for any feedback you can give me that will help make the teaching-by-blog more effective.

No comments: