
Based on your careful reading of Duck's poem, what does he want? What is the motivation for writing for this poem, and what does he want his reader to take away from it?
Deadline: Monday (11/2), start of class.
Welcome to the course blog for English 206/CWL 257: Enlightenment Literature and Culture. This is where you will find course documents, background information on the reading, and an opportunity to discuss the course material outside of class.
2 comments:
I think that Duck wants to raise awareness in the reader of the difficulty of a thresher's life. He writes, "Let those who feast at ease on dainty fare, / Pity the reapers, who their feasts prepare: / ... / Think what a painful life we daily lead;" (246-251). Thus, he writes the poem so that the upper classes will better appreciate all the work that people such as the thresher must perform so that they may have food. Though it might not have been his intention, the poem also gives insight for the modern reader about how different our daily lives are than those of Duck's thresher.
I agree with Ian, I thought that Duck really wants his audience to evaluate our own individual life and experiences to better ourselves and not take light and overlooked things for granted. I also thought that he wanted us to remember all the work that goes into our pleasures in life. His work seemed to have some Religion in it as well, but I could not decide if it was strong enough to reflect his true feeling about it. I think his work goes hand in hand with ideas and ideals that reflect the spirit of Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment