Class will not meet this next week (see post below for further explanation). I will be at Cafe Paradiso (801 S. Lincoln Ave.) during our usual class meeting time on Monday to discuss the reading for Monday, your ECCO assignment, or any other matters concerning the course. Please feel free to come by at any point during that time. I will holding my usual office hours at Paradiso from 2 - 3. (You'll also see me in there 1 - 2, but I will be meeting my other class which is tiny enough to meet at a cafe table).
There will be blog posts shortly for the reading for Monday (Joseph Warton's The Dying Indian, a poem located in the sidebar to the blog) and Thomson's Rule Britannia, which you can find in the Longman anthology. These will be designated "For Credit" just like the blog posts you've been responding to all semester, and your responses to those posts will count towards your blog grade.
Monday morning, I will put up a post headed "Monday Online Discussion" (if I decide to set one or more different discussion threads to take the place of Monday's class meeting, I will number them "Monday Online Discussion 1 [and 2 and 3, etc.]" To get credit for attendance and, more important, to learn the material assigned for Monday, you should follow the online discussion as it unfolds in the comment thread and post at least two responses (in total, to all of the Monday Discussion threads I open) that bear on the subject. You will have until 11pm Monday to post your responses. I'm not sure how this will play out, but you probably will stand a better chance of being able to say something smart and useful if you post to the discussion as it unfolds, rather than waiting until 10:45 on Monday.
The GEO and UIUC Admin have another negotiating session scheduled for Tuesday, so it is possible the strike could be over by Wednesday. If not, however, you will have the opportunity on Tuesday to comment on this method of holding virtual class, and I will modify the procedure as necessary in time for virtual class on Wednesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment