Easily lost in all the historical and literary complexity of Absalom and Achitophel is the fact that poetry is meant to (and does!) delight the senses as well as the intellect, that the best poetry conveys (in Alexander Pope's words) "what oft was thought but ne'er so well expresst."
This post is an opportunity to step back from the issues of narrative and context that we've been focusing on and to consider issues of form and aesthetics. What lines in this poem strike you as particularly effective and pleasing--not because they're "right" or say something important, but because they say it beautifully?
Cite the lines that move you and tell us why.
Deadline: Friday (9/4), start of class.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
"The careful Devil is still at hands with means;
And providently pimps for ill desires:
The Good Old Cause revived, a Plot requires.
Plots, true or false, are necessary things,
To raise up commonwealths and ruin kings" (lines 80-84)
I think these lines are very poetic. For me, it creates an image of the Devil being in control. This shows Dryden's belief that people who oppose the crown are following the Devil.
I love the fact that Dryden calls the Devil "careful". This is a great description that adds a lot to what Dryden is trying to say.
Lines 413-416
"Succession, for the general good designed,
In it's own wrong a nation cannot bind:
If altering that the people can relieve,
Better one suffer than a nation grieve."
I was attracted to these particular lines not because I understood fully what it meant or how it portrayed a sincere idea to me, but because even in this antique and generally confusing language, it concluded with refreshing simplicity. This simplicity of "better one suffer than a nation grieve" explains a lot about how Dryden feels towards succession. The lines also speak universally as opposed to the particular situation with Absalom, which somehow struck a chord with me while I was reading the poem.
"'Take then my tears' (with that he wiped his eyes)
'Tis all the aid my present power supplies:
No court informer can these arms accuse,
These arms may sons against their fathers use,
And 'tis my wish, the next successor's reign
May make no other Israelite complain.'" (ll.717-722)
I thought these lines were so beautiful that I said them out loud, much to the dismay of my room mates. Line 717 especially caught my attention because it completely changed how I saw Absalom speaking to the crowd. These lines are so incredibly over-dramatic and over-acted by Absalom that, had I been in the crowd, I most certainly would have been swayed as well.
“What cannot praise effect in mighty minds,
When flattery soothes, and when ambition blinds!
Desire of power, on earth a vicious weed,
Yet, sprung from high, is of celestial seed:
In God ‘tis glory, and when men aspire,
‘Tis but a spark too much of heavenly fire.” (Dryden 303-308)
When I first read this passage, it captured me immediately and I had to circle, underline and reread it multiple times because it amazed me that man has not changed much over the past centuries. It is clear, that we as people thrive on praise and compliments; it’s not our fault—it’s just our nature. However, Dryden explains that flattery and praise is a danger to man because it ignites his ambition and his desire for more power. In other words, praise leads to power trips and the idea of being able to do no wrong. The praise that we give celebrities and politicians today is a prime example of our flattery leading to their dangerous ambitions and power. Rod Blagojevich is an example of this. After Illinois democrats gave him the support necessary to win the Governor seat in Illinois, he used his ambitions and power to enact unlawful policies that ultimately led to his downfall and removal from the governor’s seat.
Lines 1028-1032
"Henceforth a series of new time began,
The mighty years in long procession ran:
Once more the godlike David was restored,
And willing nations knew their lawful lord."
The conclusion of the poem when read aloud has the connotation of a resolution. It just sounds like all ends have been tied up and within just four lines all conflict resolved. I also liked the religious allusions in "godlike David" and "lawful lord."
All in all, these lines stood out to me and gave the poem a truly convincing end.
Post a Comment